Wednesday, December 19, 2012

Advent

I'm not really sure where to start off with this blog. Do I share my testimony? Do I post about my journey up until now? I think I would like to come back to those things at some point, but for now I just need to write out what is currently on my mind. For those who read my Facebook posts, you have probably seen my posts about Advent. Today I posted the following... Growing up in a Baptist church, I did not know what Advent was until Leonard and I starting going to IBC. Advent is a season of Expecting, Preparing, Rejoicing and Accepting. Beginning four Sundays prior to Christmas and ending on Christmas Eve, Advent prepares us for the coming arrival or “advent” of the Christ child at Christmas. The first Sunday of Advent also marks the beginning of the Church calendar year. We can think of it as the Church’s “New Year’s Day.” “Via Advent” by Shawn Small is a book of daily readings to use as a guide through the Advent season. This is a great resource to read each night individually or with your family as you journey through the four weeks of Advent. (taken from irvingbible.org) I don't actually have the book, but I have been reading the daily devotionals taken from the book from IBC's website. Tonight I noticed that there is a recording that goes with each one. I'm not much for reading, but after listening to the recordings I want the book. They really make the story come alive. Walking through the season of Advent has been meaningful. It makes me think about what took place leading up to the birth of Jesus, and how so many had awaited the coming of the Messiah. It just reminds me of what I should be focused on during the Christmas season. It reminds me of why we celebrate Christmas. More than anything, it makes me think of how we are now also awaiting the coming of the Messiah. I stand before the Father who created me. I stand before the Son who purchased me. I stand before the Spirit that cleansed me. Blessed Trinity, help me understand Your Advent. You can listen to the audio recordings take from the book starting with Ch. 1 here...http://www.irvingbible.org/special-sections/advent/post/article/the-great-silence/ Just click where it says "Via Advent Audio" at the bottom of the page. And so as the Advent season is coming to an end, and we are nearing Christmas Day, I will be posting some of the feelings I've had during Advent as I have been reading these daily devotionals.

No comments:

Post a Comment